Tuesday 15 March 2011

More brandage

Honda, now there's a name I've always been fond of. From an early age I always liked Honda motorcycles. My mates brother and all his mates had Honda TL125 trials bikes and I thought they were the nuts. And I always loved the CR motocrosser and XR trail bike - had posters of them on my wall. So as soon as I was able I bought a TL, which I even rode on the streets of London in my early twenties. After moving out of the city I passed my bike test and got a Honda Dominator NX650, a big single cylinder thumper, and I loved it, but it was no good for the city commute and ended up with a beautiful VFR800.
Honda always felt like the quality option when it came to bikes - built to last, bullet proof. The cars had the same reputation but were a bit fuddy duddy, with the exception of the NSX sports car. Then along came the S2000, which I saw at a motor show launch, and everyone in the know raved about it. Honda engines are stuff of legend and many a time I'd hear that not one V-TEC engine had ever blown and while it impressed me I never bought a Honda car. But, long after I'd had my last Honda bike, and kids had taken a preference over wreckless petrolhead behaviour, my brother said he was getting a sports car for the summer and was looking at either an old Boxster or an MX5. I told him to consider the S2000 - he hadn't even heard of one. But a few days later he called to say he'd googled it for hours and was convinced it was the car for him and bought one - on my recommendation. Thankfully he loved it.

And one of the best ads ever... the Honda 'Dream the Impossible Dream' ad. There's nothing like exploiting your heritage, especially when it's this good...


No comments:

Post a Comment