Thursday 3 March 2011

Brand Appeal

What draws me into a brand? Well, quality, reliability, and style, usually, and sometimes value for money. Things have to perform well for me to be convinced.

Eg. What appeals to me about Apple computers? Functionality, ease of use, quality, and innovation. Just look at the iPod - I marvelled over that thing for many months, and I still do with the iPhone - two revolutionary gadgets, real life changers.

I recently had to choose between Canon and Nikon for pro photography gear. After much weighing up of the options I switched brand from Nikon to Canon. I loved the quality of Nikon gear - feels like it's the premium brand of the two when in the hand, but ultimately function won over form. All the pro photographers I know used Canon, and this also affected my decision - if I had a question about kit then I could ask any of them if I owned the same brand. And Canon were running away with innovation (and still are) - and when they launched the 5D MkII it was light years ahead of anything else.

Other brands that I've bought into... Bose, expensive but make amazingly good quality sounds. Drawn into purcase after listening to one just once.

Audi - always loved the Quattro four wheel drive. When the new A4 Quattro was launched it took part in the British Touring Car championship and whitewashed the opposition - so much so that the organisers gave them huge weight penalties to make it 'fairer'. It was an amazing advert for the Quattro system - and convinced me completely. I've bought four Audis with Quattro, which says it all. But it's also the style as well as the engineering - for me they get it just right. Vorsprung Durch Technik - now there's a strapline. Brilliant. None of that pathetic 'does what it says on the tin' approach - it makes you think, makes you wonder... draws you in. Makes me feel that it's appealing to a smarter crowd, which I quite like.

Prior to starting a family I thought I'd quench my petrolhead thirst and get a sports car. I had a local-ish Porsche dealer that I drove past frequently and the yearning grew and grew. At the time I was also working with a photographer (shooting cars - German ones) who had a Porsche passion, racing when he could, and he convinced me that the brand was what I was looking for. I took a test drive in a 911 Carrera 4 Targa (there's the 4 wheel drive again). It was spring, the weather was perfect, the roof was off. As soon as I drove off the forecourt I knew it was right. It wasn't new - far from it, but that was part of the appeal - it was like a go-kart, with all the subtle smells of oil, exhaust fumes and leather, and when the missus, who was really not initially keen on getting a showy car, also came back on a high after her turn at the wheel, that was it. It was red, shiny, went like a bloody rocket, and mine.

Timberland. The quality did it for me. Slightly fuddy, middle-age-appeal outdoor gear, but I've always enjoyed the outdoor life and, having bought cheap crap that lasted 5 minutes, I learnt that sometimes it pays to buy quality. I must have bought 10 pairs of boots over the years, and still own them all (although some are worn out and I can't find anyone to resurrect them). Most of the boots and some of the clothes appeal (particularly in black) but some of their attempts at trendy make me shudder (turn down boots etc). Bought a black hooded bomber style jacket in December.

Advertising rarely works for me when it comes to buying into brands. Maybe it's because I work in the business and am very cynical, and bad advertising can make me very anti that brand, but I like to hear recommendations from people I respect, or do research to be convinced that a brand is right.

No comments:

Post a Comment